The probably too long description of my projects.
Multimedia Story Projects
- Run! is structured around a daily log of my training for my first marathon where I record some details of my run and add in reflections on running, reading, writing, thinking, feeling, engaging, surviving (post-2016) and being/becoming.
- The Farm is an interactive story experiment in which I document the difficult process of not forgetting the farm and attempt to create a virtual space where the farm can continue to be imagined and remembered.
- The unDisciplined Dossier is a collection of accounts of being educated (student) and an educator (teacher), playfully formatted like an academic dossier.
- Memoirs. Prompted by her husband and grandchildren, Ines Puotinen began writing about living on a farm in a small village in the upper peninsula of Michigan. In 2013, I turned those memoirs into an interactive book that combines Ines’s writing with archival material, digital video and an editor’s introduction.
- Unofficial Student Transcripts. Before expanding my intellectual history to include my teaching life, my unDisciplined dossier started as an interactive book (2013).
Digital Story Projects
- Home is a series of three digital videos about recovering from loss and re/defining home.
- The Five Senses is an experiment in crafting stories, loosely organized around the theme of taste, touch, hear, see, smell, from old baby footage of my son.
- Art’s Farm Stories includes five of Art Puotinen’s classic stories about his experiences growing up on a small subsistence farm in the upper peninsula of Michigan.
- Digital Moments is a series of digital moments documenting my daily practices, shot with an iPhone and edited in iMovie.
- Love in Fragments is a series of digital stories, crafted from some random bits of footage that I found of my parents, that document love in fragments, those fleeting moments in which love (in its many forms) is experienced and expressed.
Selected Digital Stories
Selected Curious Object Accounts
- On Storytelling from Memoirs
- The Dangers of a Single Story
- An Urgent Need to Leave a Trace
- trouble is a blog dedicated to giving serious (careful, intense, playful) attention to what it means to make trouble, be in trouble and stay in trouble. In it explore the ethical and political possibilities for troublemaking in my own work and the work of others. I will gather as many different examples of troublemaking that I can find. And I will critically analyze a variety of discourses and media through the lens of troublemaking.
- story is a blog dedicated to tracking, processing, experimenting with and sharing resources on storytelling. It is also a space where I work to cultivate and experiment with my storytelling self, and where I highlight my various story projects.
- The Virtues
- Staying in Trouble
- Living Beside/s the Academy: An Ethical Response
Given at Gustavus Adolphus College, May 2013
In this talk, I discuss how I’ve been exploring, struggling with, ruminating on and then responding to the haunting questions that higher education in its current state prompts for so many. The questions, What happened? and What do I do now?, are necessarily historical, political, social and economic questions. But, they are also ethical ones. I’m interested in exploring their implications for the development of my moral selfhood.
- On (Re) Claiming Education
Given at Minnesota State University, Moorhead, April 2016
lots of questions,
and an invitation
from an Undisciplined
- video game
Selected Blog Posts
Projects in Early Stages
- Quirky Vision Problems: Living with Best’s Disease So far this story project is only comprised of some research, a few accounts and lists, some mentions in other blog posts and a brief poetry experiment. My goal, when I have more time, is to experiment with ways to express what it’s like to live and see with Best’s disease, a very rare form of juvenile macular dystrophy.